Music Banter - View Single Post - Drak's lyrics
Thread: Drak's lyrics
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Drak,

Don't burn it. I like the personal perspective on emotional and physical abuse of a child by an adult male figure (probably dad). Emotional abuse leaves many kids feeling worthless, like you describe, and they carry those scars and internal messages into their adult lives, where attempts to cope and heal can lead to myriad additional problems.

I feel many people would relate to your lyrics. Talking about what happened is the first step toward healing. I like the lyrics because they succinctly describe the way the terror of the past haunts the present.

One suggestion I have is that you write: "I close my eyes and / creep into the nightmares, / memories of what he said. / The Soul Killer steals my sleep." My reason for this suggestion is that I prefer lyrics that retain the word order of natural speech. If I were saying these lines, I would say, "I creep into the nightmares" rather than "into the nightmares I creep." A downside of my suggestion: it would weaken the rhyming.

An alternative would be to write, "I close my eyes and into the nightmares creep memories of what he said," in which case the memories are creeping into the nightmares.

I think the challenge in writing about such strong subject matter is to prevent the lyrics from seeming melodramatic. I suspect people often feel uncomfortable with a stark and disturbing subject and may think the writer is somehow exaggerating or not 'sucking it up.' I think people are often uncomfortable with expressions of vulnerability, when in actuality expressing vulnerability is the strongest thing a person can do.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote