Music Banter - View Single Post - gun control
Thread: gun control
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #88 (permalink)
Dr_Rez
Registered Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
Thank you.
The main ideas I have would be to do a better job monitoring gun sales and to essentially hold gun owners accountable for registering their weapons with a national database every few years or so.

I think that the initial sale from a commercial vendor should register the weapon with the database automatically, and then every few years they should have to go down to a local office with the weapon where someone verifies the registered gun via its serial number. Then they get a certificate or whatever that expires in a few years when they will have to come back and register again.

Any private weapons sales should be registered through this office as well. Stolen guns should be reported to the police as soon as the gun owner finds out, and failure to do so should be a relatively serious crime.

Essentially it would probably take a new government agency to administer this plan but I think it would be worth it. If you had such a system I think it would be a lot harder for legal guns to spill over into the black market.

edit - I'd be willing to have exceptions to this rule for certain types of guns. Hunting rifles, certain kinds of shotguns, etc. They're essentially irrelevant to gun crime and thus it's not necessary to create any new laws for these weapons.
I can respect that opinion. I may totally disagree with the idea of a national registry for gun owners but I at least see that your solution is not simply the extremist point of view...just ban it.

People like Lord seem to think that making it impossible for legal law abiding citizens to obtain firearms will decrease crime by such a substantial amount. While it may lower gun crimes somewhat, I would rather have the individual opportunity to defend myself.

> I think you may agree with what I said earlier about having stricter requirements for owning a gun. you must be proficient to a certain degree and have passed safety tests that show you are competent and mature enough to do so. This imo would be the biggest part of reducing all the "misfires/accidents" lord is constantly going on about.
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote