Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #4842 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
I got it in a big ass portable Joyce type thing, with his only play and I think all of Portrait of the Artist... I'm bummed because it pairs down Finnegan's Wake and and Ulysses, which i'm sure are pretty great. It's got poetry though, which i'm hoping is good, since he wasn't as renowned for it from what i can tell.
Is the poetry Chamber Music? That's a pretty good collection and Syd Barrett agrees:

On the subject of Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake, Ulysses is long and chunky but once you begin to grasp the subject and what he's going for it makes it a lot easier. Finnegan's Wake is...ugh. I give him mass credit for writing it and if I had a phd in linguistics and knew Joyce personally (I think that's the only way you're going to get all of the jokes without being James Joyce), it'd probably be hilarious. It's very hard to sit down and read that one as a novel though, but the redeeming moments are quite comical/surreal. I've yet to finish Finnegan.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote