Music Banter - View Single Post - Is it still possible to be innovative in Pop music?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #46 (permalink)
Ninetales
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
Yes, more than them probably. What on Shields can you point directly back to in terms of influence? Besides, this isn't just about Grizzly Bear.

Who exactly do you think is so much more qualified? It's just a little annoying to have some one off to the side criticizing ideas with absolutely none to contribute.
No it was just a question. Didnt mean to start a fight or anything. I dig Grizzly Bear (especially Shields and Yellow House), it's just I never really thought of them as really innovative or experimental. That being said, I don't think I truly understand what it means to be "innovative". Maybe because I dont really put as much emphasis on innovation in relation to overall quality of music.

It just seems weird to say Rihanna isnt as innovative because of 90s electronic music when Grizzly Bear arent the first in their respective field either, whether it be indie in general or psychedelic pop. Ive always got a Beach Boys or Kinks vibe from them, but theyre also taking advantage of this lush indie sound thats become pretty popular lately (ala Beach House, the xx, Tame Impala, etc). But like I said, I might just not get what being innovative even means so who knows.
Ninetales is offline   Reply With Quote