Music Banter - View Single Post - R&B Album Swap
Thread: R&B Album Swap
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #76 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
moving along.

D'Angelo - Brown Sugar

"Brown Sugar"
"Alright"
"Jonz in My Bonz"
"Me and Those Dreamin' Eyes of Mine"
"Sh*t, Damn, Motherf*cker"
"Smooth"
"Cruisin'"
"When We Get By"
"Lady"
"Higher"
lol Thankyou!!!

This is such an important album for the 90s and especially to kick off the neo soul movement to the mid to late 90s. I think this is one of the best albums that has came out over the last 20 years and one of the greatests "debut's" of all time. While I dont think it is "innovative" I think that the way D Angelo fused various styles of R&B, Jazz, Funk, Blues, and Gospel was beautifully executed in a highly creative and artistic way. Its amazing how much this album has resonated and influenced. With this album we got a chance to see just how amazing D Angelo was as a songwriter, musician, producer and arranger. I liked how the different themes that were discussed were very "universal" such as love, betrayel, encouragement, wisdom, sexuality etc but were covered over complicted/complex production. I also appreciate the fact that real instruments were used which makes sense since alot of the styles were heavily influenced by 70s R&B. (Not to mention he played majority of the instruments himself) This is a pretty solid album with no real weak track on it.

My personal favorites are: When We Get By (godammit I loveeeeee this song), Sh!t damn motherf!cker (this is a funkyyyyyy @ss song lol), Me and Those Dreaming Eyes of Mine, Lady (smooth vocals ..D Angelo can sing to me anyday at any time of the week lol), Smooth, and Brown Sugar (classic)

Overall this is a 5 star album which I consider a MUST have and of course a classic!!!

Last edited by Soulflower; 09-09-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote