Music Banter - View Single Post - where were you on 9/11
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

I was a sophomore in high school living in Singapore at the time so it was about 8:45PM for me when it started. My dad was watching the news and I just happened to walk into our tv room and he says to me "Some idiot just flew into the world trade center". We honestly didn't know if it was an attack at the time and since it was international news, no one wanted to speculate until it was for sure. Once the second plane hit, everyone knew. That's when I started to get kind of emotional. Once the first tower went down I started to cry...it was weird, too. I wasn't consciously considering how many people had died right at that moment, I didn't even process that until later. The whole impact of the event must have registered with my subconscious, though, so the tears started coming. Our school principal insisted on not cancelling school the next day to show our resolve or something (I went to an American school)...but our buses - which were very much red, white and blue WE ARE AMERICA school buses - were all painted to disguise them as your typical Singaporean bus. We also had armed guards outside of our school called Gurkhas from then on (Nepalese elite soldier guys who basically stood like stones all days at the entrance). I believe they are still there.

One thing that really stood out to me, though, was I remember thinking "well, if they planes hit the side of the building, they will fall like a chopped tree, right?" and then I felt it was very weird that they went straight down. I thought about that before any of the conspiracy theories started popping up, so that's maybe why I bought into a lot of them.