Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #5978 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs

Not a direct sequel to 2010's Amnesia: the Dark Descent but a game set in the same universe. This game wasn't actually developed by Frictional Games, but instead by thechineseroom, who did the retail version of Dear Esther and it seems like some of their design choices from that game have leaked into this one. This game is far more focused on telling you a story rather than you trying to piece it together bit by bit. They've removed the tinder boxes and lantern fuel so you never have to worry about running out, and there's no sanity meter so you don't have to worry about weird camera filters when confronted with monsters. I'm not really sure why the developers decided to ditch the limited light sources as managing your limited supplies is pretty much a staple of the survival-horror genre and giving us the comfort that we will never be stuck in the dark does a lot to negate the self-created horror that our minds conjure.

I dunno, I need to play this game more but it's not really lighting the same fire under my ass that its predecessor did, and after staining every pair of boxers I own with Outlast I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote