Music Banter - View Single Post - In Utero 20th Anniversery
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
MrNoodle
Groupie

Greetings all, signed up on here a while back but hadn't posted at all.
First post!

When In Utero came out I was 22 and in college. After Nevermind, I wondered how they would top that. Then I started hearing all the 'buzz' about this one before it was released and it was all, "oh, it's a huge departure from Nevermind/Kurt wanted to distance himself from all of the success of that one/the record company didn't like it/blah blah blah."

Once I picked it up, I was floored. It WAS hugely different from Nevermind, but THAT's what made it all the more better. Loved the heaviness of it and the furious/rapid vocals, right along with the mournful voice on tracks like Pennyroyal Tea and whatnot.

Definitely one of my favorite albums and in my opinion one of the very few great albums from the so-called 'grunge' area, though I never considered them in that category.

I'm glad they're doing the 20th Anniversary thing on this. I picked up the Nevermind super deluxe version and the Bleach deluxe version when those came out.

Initially I had been interested in the super deluxe as well for this one, but have decided to only pick up the deluxe. Don't need the extra 'live' cd and would much rather have the dvd in its own case. With the Nevermind super, I never really listed to the live cd and it's a bit annoying to take out the entire set just to grab the dvd. Yeah, minor nitpicks, but the $$$ was a factor too.

Anyway, just checked Amazon (though I'm going to pick them up in-store) and checked the deluxe version (about $21) has two discs, which were the only ones I am interested in, and those contain all the tracks on the first two cds of the SUPER deluxe. I'll pick up the Live and Loud dvd with this, and I'll be set. Oh, and the Live and Loud has been on my 'get this damn thing out already' for ages. So spending about $40 on both of these is way better than $120-$140 (whatever the price range will be).
MrNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote