Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #5984 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Redundant title aside this is probably going to be within my top 5 games of 2013 and maybe even this generation. It's a full 3D puzzle platformer about two brothers who go out on a quest to find the Water of Life to help cure their sick father of his mysterious ailment. It's been described as a single player co-op game because you control both brothers to help solve puzzles, and I have to say there are some really well designed puzzles, that while not being all that challenging do just enough to help keep the pace of the game going and never get frustrating. Actually the only frustrating aspect of the game comes down to controlling the brothers, but as there's no combat and plenty of checkpoints it's not that bad. They don't actually speak any English or in fact any known language, but despite that their tone and expressions do more to convey emotional weight than most AAA cut scenes with big name voice actions and millions of dollars spent on facial recognition technology. Definitely a game that's worth the $14.99 so check it out on XBLA, PSN, or Steam.

Guacamelee! Gold Edition

A little action platformer/metroidvania game from the PSN that was ported to PC back in August. I have to say there's a lot to like about this game from its gorgeous art style, great music, engaging combat and platforming, and humor. At times it feels like the old 2D Zelda games with its dungeons and bosses and it gets a lot right, which is pretty hard to do. The platforming can get a little frustrating in spots but not to the level of throwing the controller across the room. This is another $14.99 game and it's well worth your time.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote