Music Banter - View Single Post - Psyche Belly Dance by Baba Zula
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Stephen
I sleep in your hat

1. What were your VERY FIRST impressions on listening to the album, say from the first five minutes in?

First impressions were favourable. Stylistically it seemed to have some potential.

2. Did that opinion change as the album progressed or as you listened again?

Probably by about 5 or 6 tracks in I found myself getting impatient. I was tempted to skip ahead but stuck with it.

3. Any comments on the instruments used or the genre?

Instrumentation was a nice blend of modern and traditional. I didn't find the electronic overlays as intrusive as I have on similar projects so they did a good job on that front. Maybe because the traditional sounds were overlayed on the electronic rather than the other way around which somehow seems more incongruous.

4. What did you think of the vocals/lyrics if there were any?

Vocals seemed more incidental as kind of another layer in the mix rather than a focal point in the songs.

5. What appealed most/turned you off most ? Track-by-track, do you have a least/most favourite?

I did find some of the beats fairly catchy but overall was probably a little bored. There didn't seem to be much to focus on in the tracks. Kind of a little trancy I suppose.

6. Do you have any previous acquaintance with this artist? Other albums? Concert/tv appearances? Have you slept with any of the band members?

No none.

7. Any comments on the production, the packaging or the presentation of this album?

No none.

8. Do you think the album hung together well, ie was it a fully cohesive unit, or was it a bit hit-and-miss?

I think they did a good job overall but it's not a genre I really gravitate towards.

9. If you could change anything about this album, what would it be?

Probably any changes I made would be missing the point of the album so I would probably leave it for what it is if that makes sense.

10. Will you be listening to this album much in the future, or investigating any related material ?

No I doubt it.

Overall I gave it an OK but if you like the genre it would probably score higher for you.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote