Music Banter - View Single Post - just wondering...
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I'd say the theremin, but strangeness is relative.
I'm actually looking into building my own theremin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Definitely the contrabass flute, it's a flute on steroids, honestly I don't think a flute should be that big. Another weird thing about is not only it's size but all the flappy noise it makes.
It is "flappy" because the mechanism is much slower than on regular soprano C flutes. Also, she seems to be slamming her fingers down on the keys which just displays a lack of discipline regarding technique. Although the piece she is playing is fairly modern (it is a modern instrument), so often times percussive effects are required.

The other day I actually got to try a contrabass flute at the store. Only a few flute makers produce them, and they are very expensive. Even the ones made from PVC pipe. The silver plated one they're selling on FluteWorld.com is $14,531.00.

There is also a subcontrabass flute:

This guy has better finger technique than the girl in the other video, so you won't hear the mechanism so much. It sounds a lot like a double bass, or maybe even the octobass.

There is a relatively new flute invention called the Hyperbass Flute as well. I believe this is only part of it (pictured with some other low flutes). The Hyperbass is 32 feet of PVC tubing.

Edit: The flute on the far right is an Alto Flute, which is what I play regularly.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote