Music Banter - View Single Post - Worst...
Thread: Worst...
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #32 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

I will certainly not dismiss anyone for liking it. The beat was very 80's, the anthem quality was BIG (fist waving level 11!), Grace and Micky's voices blended very well, and it does have that Baseball Stadium quality to it. I can understand others liking it for a lot of the right reasons. Maybe I should have chose "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now", the theme to Mannequin that was just as cheesy and without that crowd pleasing attitude, but "We Built This City" was something I chose on memory and gut reaction.

Me and my friend also made fun of other songs that went Boom WHACK boom boom WHACK in The 80's like one I kind of like myself, George Harrison's version of "I Got My Mind Set On You", which had a nice laid back quality that fitted his singing even if it was not one of his true highlights that was without the robotic edge and clumsy video that made me single out Starship's hit.

The choice is all of a personal one - it kind of hurt to see a once-idealistic band with a line up only featuring of one from their 60's lineups (Grace Slick) go into MTV style mechanisms (in fact Les Garland was on it!) at a perfect time when I was finally going out in the world and finding that the Pop Culture of that time was really going down with a style that was not all that attractive to me. True, there were already years of Jefferson Starship that slightly were worrying (especially when it got to Freedom at Point Zero), but it was the tip of the iceberg.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote