Music Banter - View Single Post - Comics/Graphic Novels
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #220 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Miracleman

The history behind this superhero is pretty spectacular but what drew me to this was that it's basically ground zero the post-modern dark deconstruction of the superhero genre by Alan Moore. This character actually started out as Marvel Man and was a British superhero that was heavily based on the power set of Captain Marvel, but had to change the name to Miracleman for a US release to avoid a lawsuit from Marvel Comics. This comic has also been at the center of a long running legal battle between Neil Gaimen and Todd McFarlene, which actually attaches to another law suit between the two men based on Spawn comics royalties.

Lawsuits aside I'm really impressed with Alan Moore's writing in this one and can see how it really influenced Watchmen. It's also easily one of the most violent comics from this time period too, but I guess it kind of matches the deconstruction of the genre. I do like how the violence isn't just pandering violence that was so ubiquitous with later comics that I can see this inspired. Definitely would recommend this one if you're a fan of Watchmen or other Alan Moore comics.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote