Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm Here Today, Expect It To Stay On - Ki's Journal of Music
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #73 (permalink)
Key

So if you're lonely, you know I'm here waiting for you.

Franz Ferdinand. A band well known across many music boards and websites of the like. But what is it about them that makes them so appealing? Is it their sound? Is it their ability to keep with the music they like? Well...

...Personally, I find them to be one of the greatest indie rock bands to come around in the last 15 years. Since 2004, they've released four albums including their debut Franz Ferdinand. Since then, it may seem to some people that they haven't grown musically or changed, but in this case, I find that they have grown, if only for the fact that they've gotten to the point that they will create music for the sheer enjoyment of what they like. With their recent release, "Right Words, Right Thoughts, Right Action" that remains to be true. I was skeptical at first because it had been a few years since their last release which I really really enjoyed, and at the time of hearing about their new material, I was hoping they didn't sell out and give in to temptation and release an album that is poor to the ears. That was not the case however, since "Right Words, Right Thoughts, Right Action" has quickly become one of their more mature, and easily listenable album in their catalog. They've grown since 2002, both as a band, and lyrically throughout their albums. The new material is nothing short of amazing, and I can only hope it gets better the more I listen to it, as it most likely will.

As a band, I don't know if there is much hype about them since I'm only going from personal experience. I see their name being dropped many times, and it's rare to see someone speak of them in a negative way, even if it is to discuss a few songs. I remember when they released their debut in 2004, I was all over it, because I had seen the video for "Take Me Out" many times on MTV and I thought the video alone was awesome. It convinced me enough to listen to the album as a whole, and to no surprise, it was amazing.

The verdict for this band is probably obvious, but i'll say it anyway:

They are definitely worth the hype they receive even if it isn't much to begin with. But when people speak about them, it's no surprise that they receive such positive feedback. I have yet to see them live, but I know people who have, and they are said to put on a fantastic show. With the new album out, I'm hoping they can make their way over to the lovely rainy city, so that I have a chance to see them.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote