Music Banter - View Single Post - Are White Rappers Guests in Hip Hop?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #70 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
Matter of taste I guess but those tracks I posted, you can easily see why they appeal imo.
I really can't, that's what I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
I was a Jay-Z fan, when I was about 12, because of tracks like the first one. It's like Hip-Hop for school children.
I was in my early twenties when I first heard him, maybe that's why I couldn't get into the whole hip hop for school children aspect. My introduction was "Hard Knock Life", which they used to play a lot on the radio station my boss listened to. I thought it was just kind of annoying. Many years went by and I was surprised to discover that this guy who I thought of as a one hit wonder had become sort of... well regarded. So I checked out The Grey Album because it sounded interesting. Problem was it kind of forgettable. Thinking I should give him a chance with a legitimate album, I then got Reasonable Doubt, which also turned out to be completely forgettable, and frankly, so dull it was hard to sit through all the way. A few years later I checked out The Blueprint, and had the same test-of-patience experience as Reasonable Doubt. Since then, my exposure to his music has consisted of watching YouTube videos of his songs that have been posted here on MB, not a single one of which I've found catchy or memorable in any way. Which brings us to my current situation of being totally perplexed by the fact that so many people seem to enjoy his music.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote