Music Banter - View Single Post - Is classical music still relevant today?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #80 (permalink)
Jeff_T
Groupie

I attend classical concerts of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Chicago Lyric Opera. The performances are always packed. Most of the audience is middle-aged to elderly, but there are a good number of people in their teens and twenties who attend. I'd say 10-20 percent are in that age bracket. I think there'd be more young people if the tickets were cheaper. Some of the music bores me (as does some of the music in any genre), but quite a bit of it is exciting and emotionally moving. I think you have to listen to it a little differently and not expect to be rocked out by it, although some of it definitely rocks. Classical music seems to be fairly popular in Asia and Europe. A lot of the best young classical musicians now are Asian, so I think you have to look at its worldwide appeal as well. It is not just Western music anymore. It's got a long history, and lots of different styles, so it is not just one thing. Also, all other Western popular music, including pop, rock, metal and jazz, is structurally based on it (e.g. same harmonic scales), so it is still technically relevant.
Jeff_T is offline   Reply With Quote