Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #2196 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
So the show got a pretty predictable ending and left it with the fan service?

That's completely the opposite of what Dexter did and everyone seemed to hate the Dexter series finale for it but I loved the creators for NOT going the predictable route that fans wanted.
I don't know about you, but I like my series finales to be about more than just being non-predictable. There's an execution part of it that needs to satisfy the audience and create some sort of reward. The final answer to the final unanswered question, or at least the semblance of an answer supported by your years of hints. Dexter's end tried to do that in a rushed, haphazard way that required huge assumptions that could never be supported throughout the entire series without making an arbitrary analysis based solely on the final episode. It could have simply been a 1 episode show and it would have made the same logical sense.
To me, it felt like a B- movie condensed into a one-hour TV show. It just didn't connect logically and satisfyingly to the history of the show.

As far as Breaking Bad is concerned, they did better. Maybe the ending could have had a bit more to it, but ends were tied logically and emotionally in that final episode that Dexter never came close to tying, other than superficially. Dexter's final episode was on par with the "wtf was the point of this" quality of The Sopranos' last episode, and that's bad.

Just sayin', there's more to an ending of years of seasons than "Oh sweet! I didn't expect that!"

IMO