Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #2204 (permalink)
dankrsta

I've been on a sci-fi kick.

I'm planning to watch Babylon 5. Actually I've been planning for at least a year. I started than I quit, just couldn't get into it. Then I remembered I've never watched Deep Space Nine when it aired (I tried), and then...why not just go through the whole Star Trek franchise.

So I rewatched The Next Generation, as I remember really loving it as a teenager. And it holds up great. Some great stories, concepts, some cheese, all in all I still love it. Favorite episode: The Measure of a Man (HM: The Offspring) - yeah I like stories about AI.

Then I went back to 23. century, cause I forgot most of The Original Series, in fact I don't think I ever watched it all, and I think I used to mix some episodes with TNG. If TNG had good with sci-fi concepts, TOS was a great adventure. Lots of weirdness, mystery, fun. Third season had many bad episodes, but often it was entertaining. The first season is the best. Favorite episode: The City on the Edge of Forever (HM: Where No Man Has Gone Before)

Deep Space Nine was a change of pace, but this time I was immersed, and it's a very good series. I usually don't care that much about politics and character drama in sci-fi, but it worked well in this concept. This one was more serialised, but not completely. Favorite episode: In the Pale Moonlight

I heard that Voyager is kinda bad, and with low expectations I was pleasantly surprised. It's not as good as TNG, and DS9 is certainly better written, but Voyager had its moments, some fun characters and stories. Although it had a tendency to go overboard (and suffocate) with many elements I loved in TNG: The Borg, Time travel/time anomalies, non-human (or half-human) characters searching for humanity etc. It lacked subtlety. Favorite episode: hmmm...Scorpion

And in the end Enterprise I liked the least, but I must say 3. and especially 4. season were very good. It had some unnecessary continuity problems that I managed to not let bother me. I think this series would have benefited from DS9 treatment, more serialisation. Still, an enjoyable experience (except for the opening song, ugh). Favorite episode: I don't know, maybe Demons/Terra Prime

So I managed to finish the whole Star Trek series this year, and all the movies ( am I a trekkie now?)

Now on to the Babylon 5