Music Banter - View Single Post - No punk today
Thread: No punk today
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 03:42 AM   #94 (permalink)
Surell
Master, We Perish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Larehip View Post
Even if I accept this as true, there ain't room enough in this town for both of
'em so I pick punk.
That's a pretty ****ed up way of going about things, seeing as these are intangible subjects.

Quote:
That's true of hip-hop. Punk was that way from the beginning. Just look at the MC5--by the mid-60s were free jazz fanatics (Rob Tyner took his name from McCoy Tyner) who were avowed anarchists which they preached from the stage and involved in various anarchist and extreme left causes. And those movements all embraced dada if you ever bothered to check--were founded by dadaists. Punk wasn't born from dada, it was continuation of it. There would have been no punk without dada. That not every punk band knew s-hit about dada doesn't prove anything. I know people who hate the Beatles but love all these bands that never would have existed without them.
Well, the Ramones liked jangly pop music and sniffed glue, that may have had just as much influence as dadaism. I'm still pretty adamant in the position that dadaism is not the only reason people opposed war/government. It could have played a part, but I don't think it's the only answer, especially since punks were pretty anti-intellect (i.e., they sniffed glue).

Quote:
There was nothing pretentious about dada. They went head on against the Nazis and some ended up in the camps. They had a hell of a lot more guts than a lot of people today who fancy themselves rebellious when their "tude" consists of nothing but zoning out on ecstasy in a f-ucking rave somewhere, who only get mad when the cops interrupt their party.
Pretentious may have been the wrong word, I just mean that it's a very intellectual field that punks don't seem like they would gravitate toward since they were so amateurish in so many aspects.

Quote:
Again, that doesn't mean anything because the antiwar consciousness was raised by organizations that were either founded by or spun off of organizations founded by dadaists and other surrealists. The guy carrying a placard protesting a war may not be aware that he's doing this because dadaists came up with it but that's just his ignorance. It's not the reality.
Every single one? I have a hard time believing that.

Quote:
And it also gave us the MC5 so there you go.
Indeed.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote