Music Banter - View Single Post - Why does mainstream music appeal?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
Unthreatening, bland, designed to be passively consumed when you're doing tasks like driving to work, ironing etc.

Fat Pie's David Firth ridicules 2009's music scene - BBC Comedy Extra - YouTube

Pretty much... but I wouldnt say ALL mainstream music is bland but the mainstream music over the last decade has been pretty bland.

Mainstream music appeals because it is easily accesible and its not to complex for the casual music listener. It is also more memorable because of the catchy choruses and beats that makes the songs easy to recognize. Personally, I think mainstream music is not even about "music" or talent anymore and more about marketing and branding. Not to say that it hasnt always been like that but it appears that this is the only premise that the industry is looking to promote currently.

There are a ton of artists that have been in the industry for over 5 plus years that have made some amazing music but the industry just doesnt want to promote it. As a result, the youth are forced to consume corporate puppets as their music library because that is all that is being given to them. Just imagine if an artist like Janelle Monae or Jack White had the backing and support of the industry it would add some needed flavor in this bland mainstream industry.

Once upon time, music listeners had control over what got played on the radio but its not like that anymore. Now the powers that be control what gets played which is why you will find the same artist played 6 or 7 times within in a hour on 3 different stations because of Clear Channel, Viacom, etc

Its all bull**** to me which is why I dont listen to the radio or watch award shows. Its all about money and popularity and less about quality music. Mainstream music wasnt like this in the past but its trash now...
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote