Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #1954 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

There have certainly been some Metal standards, and songs, that have been covered by odd artistes, whom you would not associate with Heavy Metal at all, but occasionally a Metal band will cover a song that is just, well, so far removed from Metal that it beggars belief. In a recent review of the album "Are you dead yet?" by Children of Bodom, to be published later in the month, I was just totally amazed that they seemed to have recorded a cover version of Britney Spears' "Oops ... I did it again!" I couldn't for the life of me imagine what it would sound like. Surely they would send it up to high Heaven --- or in this case, down to low Hell? --- but could it be possible that they were closet Britney fans, and wanted to do the song justice? Is it even feasible that they might attempt a proper version of it?

Well, to my amazement they did a pitch-perfect copy of it, right down to ... nah, just yankin' your chain! They did however draft in the services of Jonna Kosenen, though who she is I don't know. Interesting use of the keyboard and it's just hilarious to hear Alexi Laiho's gutteral vocal with the hammering guitars battering the song to pieces. Just brilliant. You know the original probably --- how many of us will not admit to watching at least one Britney video for, ah, relief? --- but here are the two side by side. Finally, you can throw the horns while listening to Britney! Yeah yeah: we'd all like to throw something else...