Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm Here Today, Expect It To Stay On - Ki's Journal of Music
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #80 (permalink)
Key

Trivium - Vengeance Falls

After absolutely loving In Waves, I was pretty dead set on the fact that Trivium may not release that great of an album again, and than they release Vengeance Falls. I'm not really a huge fan of the album title, it sounds very cliche, but others have said the opposite, so it may just be me.

This is one of the albums I was looking forward to this year, and I am very happy it has delivered as good as it has. When I heard it'd be produced by David Draiman, I was a little skeptical since I didn't want this album to sound like a Disturbed knock off, but it doesn't really have that feel to it. It's definitely got the heavy factor that I have come to expect from this band, perhaps more than I was expecting. Guitar solos are definitely top notch, and Matt Heafy has always been pretty good lyrically. It's not even close to the atrocious lyrics of Temper Temper (Bullet for my Valentine).

I really enjoy listening to a Trivium album over and over again, because I feel like the replay value allows to hear different things each time, and I find myself being surprised by new things each time. For example, when I first heard Shogun, I didn't find a lot of enjoyment out of it, but I got around to listening to it again a few weeks ago, and it blew my socks off. I wasn't even sure what it was that I didn't like about it, but it became irrelevant. Same thing with The Crusade.

I already have a lot of favorite tracks off Vengeance Falls, but the one that sticks out the most is probably Strife. It starts off beautifully, and keeps the shock value of heavy above anything else throughout the entire song. And again, the lyrics are pretty top notch. As mentioned before, this album definitely does a good job at that, I don't find the lyrics corny in any way.

In terms of where this album lays on the scale of favorite albums by them, it probably still sits under In Waves (being number 1) only because In Waves surprised me in so many ways, one being the fact that it is such a long album, and each song has it's own individuality that makes it such an enjoyable album. This one has that same effect, but it stills feels very new, perhaps the placement of this album will change over time, but I have definitely enjoyed listening to this album, and waiting the whole year has been more than worth it. Very happy with this, and can't wait to get myself a copy.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote