Music Banter - View Single Post - Why does mainstream music appeal?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #27 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
But this isnt exclusive to mainstream music. Each part of the music industry has its darlings and I dont think there is a huge difference in how one finds these artists/albums/songs. If you're a giant indie rock fan that regards Pitchfork's reviews highly, then yeah you're probably going to like Vampire Weekend and Grizzly Bear over Foster the People. If P4k had given Torches a 9.5 BNM you dont think more people would think it was a better record? It's just a matter of trusting your sources. If you like Scaruffi and he rated a new album very highly, chances are you will listen to it. If you like billboard chart music and they show a new Katy Perry song, chances are you will listen to it.

Pitchfork is just as easily accessible as MTV, it's just a matter of what your tastes are.

Thats a good point. I just think for alot of people these tastes are shaped based on what the industry promotes. I was specifically referring to audiences that rely on the "mainstream" for their music. I know this issue can go many different ways for other forms of music.

I also want to make this clear that I am specifically referring to the current mainstream industry and not the way it has operated in the past.

I just think naturally people are going to like what they constantly see and hear all the time not because they think its great but because that is all that they are use to listening too. I think the corporate machine and the industry itself has more to do with why certain artists are more commercial than others.

Back in a day a song played 5 times on the radio because it was a popular song that the PUBLIC voted on. Nowadays, the INDUSTRY will play a bland song 50 times within 5 hours and it is a song that the public didnt even request or vote on. In other words, its popular because the INDUSTRY said so.
As a result, we blindly fall in love with these bland pop songs not because its good but because after listening to the same damn song over 12,000 times we begin to like it.

I just think the powers that be controls the dynamics of the industry, its really sad because the real artists suffer.

Thats why I said pop music isnt about music anymore and it pushes people to dig and discover music on their own (not that that is a problem) but just saying..
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote