Music Banter - View Single Post - Why does mainstream music appeal?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #30 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
The thing about is that even though she is signed to Bad Boy Records they have been doing really good by her. They have left her alone creatively and haven't been too intrusive in that regards so they aren't ruining her career any. She has the artistic freedom of someone that isn't signed or that's on an indie label but while being on a bigger label.

It's not even about the industry promoting her. She's doing well all on her own and getting Grammy nominations it's just that she doesn't have that big of a fan base and it's not because people don't know her or hear her material because they DO.
Respectfully disagree

First off, Janelle doesnt get alot of grammy nominations. Janelle was featured on the Fun song last year but that wasnt her song that was nominated. This year we will see if she has any nominations. I think the Archandroid received one nomination.

Her fans and her following support her but the average music listener is not going to know who Janelle is or any of her music. She has a pretty good following for someone of her status but she is no Bieber or Katy Perry in popularity in the way you are implying.... c'mon now. They are largely popular because their backed by their million dollar labels and the industry. There popularity is due to that mostly and not because they make "creative" music or are extremely talented.

Janelles problem is she needs a hit song that will introduce the masses to more of her music. That is what happened this summer with Robin Thicke and turned him into a pop star overnight with one song.

Just because Badboys is giving Janelle artistic freedom doesnt justify their trifliness. You still dont abandon artists on your label. Janelle needs to get off that label ASAP! I liked to see her get on Bruno's label. They did a really great job with his latest project.

Fanbases will never grow if the masses are not exposed to your music, (thats the key factor) So you cant blame it on the public if the public have not been exposed to her music. I personally dont care if she ever becomes big or not but I think she deserves it because she works so hard to be creative and she is extremely talented. She is very creative and artistic unlike most of her peers. She is also very intelligent too.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote