Music Banter - View Single Post - No punk today
Thread: No punk today
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #149 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Larehip View Post
Because it SOUNDS like punk. Jazz has the same dilemma. What makes jazz be jazz? People said that jazz swings but a lot of jazz, especially free jazz, does not swing and yet it is still jazz. So what makes it jazz? Because it SOUNDS like jazz. Punk is punk because it sounds that way. I'm talking purely from a musical standpoint. From a philosophical standpoint, punk is dead and has not been revitalized. It doesn't make sense to continue to play punk when we've already had a post-punk genre (Swans, PIL, etc).

Who the hell DOES like Green Day?
Jazz just like any other kind of music can be understood by what scales, rhythm and form (how the music piece/song is constructed) and what types of instruments are used. There is a little more into classification of music genres than just "because it SOUNDS like ..." etc.

There was music (some call it proto-Punk, which is really a retronym) that sounded close to Punk even before what Malcolm McLaren's envisioned the Sax Pistols to be, so the music shouldn't be confined to just one narrow definition. In your example of Free Jazz and Swing Jazz you noticed the difference that Free Jazz doesn't "swing" yet it is "because it SOUNDS like Jazz." Why is it ok for Jazz to take many forms like Swing, Big Band, West Coast Cool Jazz, Free Jazz etc etc and still be Jazz, yet Punk hasn't been Punk since '77 and from a "philosophical standpoint, punk is dead"?

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote