Music Banter - View Single Post - No punk today
Thread: No punk today
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 03:10 AM   #152 (permalink)
Surell
Master, We Perish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Larehip View Post
Rap is mainstream. It hauls in BILLIONS of dollars a year. Guys like Jay Z and Li'l Wayne are so rich they have to portray themselves as pimps and drug dealers to justify their bank accounts and mansions so that their fans won't think they lost touch with the streets.
Anything mainstream is mainstream. A whole genre isn't mainstream, there are still people working underground. I don't think you know quite enough about the genre to say every aspect of it is mainstream. There are rappers past and present as punk or more so than a lot of punk. Example:

In a relation of ethos. But more obviously (and currently):

And as Urban mentioned earlier:

It's got a confined feeling, it's tempo is relentless, it's a little tongue in cheek and self aware and extremely angry. How is this not in some way parallel to Punk? It was bred in the same exact city, just borroughs apart, and they were well aware of each others' existence. Hell, the Beastie Boys were originally a bunch of Punks, really into Bad Brains, before making the switch to Hip Hop, and they still fit Punk songs on their albums seamlessly. If the last example wasn't enough, there's always this classic:

You can say the mainstream sucks all you want, and you might be right to that extent, but to say all Hip Hop sucks for it is pretty off, considering that the mainstream version of any genre is likely to not be as satisfying as deeper stuff.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote