Music Banter - View Single Post - Off Colour Jokes and Why You're a Plebe for Using them
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #239 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Well, too late it would seem.

I intended to post here to say that the tone of my last post probably seemed a little too vitriolic, and I apologise if I painted anyone in a light they should not be seen in.

That said...

Just about everyone here has said that if they knew that a joke offended someone they would stop, maybe apologise or move away. Yet Steph (JD) has told you all that she was raped, and is offended not only by the comment made but, I have to believe, the defence of that comment by people here, however misguided. Now you can't have it both ways guys: if this argument is going on and suddenly someone says "Hey! I was raped and find this offensive!" the only logical and human thing to do is APOLOGISE to that person. But so far as I can see, nobody who "defended" or tried to excuse the comment has done so: you're all more concerned with how it could have been taken --- as a joke --- but nobody has said we understand, you went through that, it is therefore not a joke. You're basically telling her to get over it, it's no big deal, he didn't mean it.

This I have a serious problem with.

Are your words just empty air? You say one thing, then do another. Which is it? You now know --- without any ambiguity at all --- that Steph is upset/offended/annoyed with your reaction to the "ha ha rape joke" and yet you're still bloody defending it? I thought you said you would stop? Yet you're all still going on? I thought it was a joke, moving the goalposts (what does that even mean, CB, in this instance?) and trying to make it seem like she's STILL in the wrong for taking offence, even though she was the one raped and we won't ever feel like she does or know how she feels?

Yeah, started out as a sort of apology but the last few comments have made me more or less retract that. You're a bunch of insensitive jerks, you know that? How can you talk freely and openly about this being a joke when you know what you know? I just don't get it.

Maybe I never will.