Music Banter - View Single Post - Off Colour Jokes and Why You're a Plebe for Using them
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #246 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Oh, and yes I know I've only just joined this thread and now I'm spitting all over it but I feel very strongly about this subject. I wish people would just realise that some things are not, and never will be, in any way, funny, nor should they be made fun of.
You say this as if it is fact. Who gets to decide which things are OK and which things aren't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
The degree to which the butt of the joke suffers is what people tend to take umbrage at. But in doing so, that creates a sort of "scale of offense", whereby there is a point at which something is only just over the line, therefore offensive, and a point at which something is just about within the boundaries of taste, therefore not offensive.

And that's when it becomes problematic. Who should determine where that line is? We've already established that most jokes need a "victim" in order to be funny, so in that regard there will always be someone who takes offense at a joke, because there will always be someone who can relate more to the victim than the joke teller.

Therefore, there are only two fair, realistic ways of defining what is acceptable and what isn't - either everything is fair game, or nothing is. And no-one wants to live in a world where you can't joke about anything. So "everything is acceptable" wins. Rape jokes are fine.
?
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote