Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 05:17 AM   #1958 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Thanks Batty. When I say predictable I of course don't mean my reactions, which are all expected --- though some albums did surprise me, such as In Flames and Doomsword, to name but two --- but the expected choice of album. I mean, if I reviewed Motorhead everyone would expect "Ace of spades", "Overkill" or "Bomber", in fact I plan to review "Bastards". I know nothing of the album but like the title, and the fact that I know nothing of the album. Some of the choices were invariably down to title, as in the Bathory one, others were taken in order to move along the timeline: I'd reviewed an album from the 90s, so the next one would be one from the 80s and then one from the 2000's and so on, so that it didn't get too stale. Then of course there are the too-obvious, like Metallica's Black album or Master of Puppets, or Sababth's Paranoid. Sometimes I prefer to veer a little left when choosing albums.

Doesn't always work of course. Go off the beaten path and you could find an album everyone hates, that is totally misrepresentative of the artiste's work, or just plain sucks. But using Wiki or RYM was just an easy out to me, although I did research the bands on Wiki, and in general if I saw an album by say a death metal or thrash metal band and the entry said it was less aggressive or with less death growls than previous ones, I would usually choose it. But, and it's a big but, I stayed with "Seven churches" for Possessed and "Heretic" for Morbid Angel, so I tried not to always take the cheaper, easier-on-my-ear way out if I could.

At any rate, hope you're all enjoying it and there's plenty more yet to come...