Music Banter - View Single Post - Your favorite Metallica album?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Nope. The Diamond Head version has far better atmosphere. Metallica just thrash it out, whereas DH give it an almost progressive, oppressive feel, and Brian Tatler's soloing is far better imo on the song than Hammet's. Also the build up via Holst's "Mars, the bringer of war" is far better done in DH's original. Also again, what's with the production on Metallica's version? Sounds like it was recorded in a garden shed!

Nah, "Borrowed time" is a great album and Diamond Head's original version of "Am I evil" will always be number one with me.

Not that you care...
You're just a pansy who doesn't like Slayer.

But seriously, the production on Metallica's version is fantastic. Sure it's lo-fi, but it hits like a ten-ton hammer with a crunch like the shifting of the tectonic plates, whereas Diamond Head's version, while still atmospheric, still sounds too seventies (at least relatively) to properly bring the evil. And Hetfield's snarl is pure viciousness. Diamond Head's singer, again, too seventies to tingle the spine in the same way. This is all by comparison mind you. Diamond Head's song is also fantastic, but Metallica's is one of the finest metal songs ever recorded.

Also, Metallica's version of "Blitzkrieg" is also the superior version.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote