Music Banter - View Single Post - Question for the Rastafarians and Reggae Aficionados
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mr. Charlie
Shoo Thoughts

Default Question for the Rastafarians and Reggae Aficionados

I have a bit of a thing for reggae and listen to it regularly, but I don't always understand the language used or common references.

For instance 'I & I', or 'InI', I think it can mean God and I, or the God in me, or the unity of all mankind with God, or maybe that all mankind are One. Am I on the right track?

Secondly, I always thought the word 'Babylon' was used to signify paradise, but it seems in reggae it's used to refer to government or oppression, even salvery. Is this correct?

Thirdly, what's with all the revered and joyous references to Haile Selassie? I know Ethiopia is considered the homeland for Rastafarians and that Haile Selassie was the emperor there, but history tells us he was as oppressive and totalitarian leader who commited human rights crimes; in other words Haile Selassie was responsible for the kind of things that Reggae music regulalry tackles and speaks out against. So why is he so revered? I don't get it. It seems hypocritical?
Mr. Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote