Music Banter - View Single Post - Heavy Music
Thread: Heavy Music
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 03:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Default Heavy Music

Welcome to a journal of heavy music.

Why? Because I am tired of reading about crappy, effete heavy music on this Web site. The imbalance ends now.

Attributes of the music this journal deals with:
1) heavy
2) good

What this journal is not:
1) a joke. Heavy music is serious. If you are not damaged deep inside stop reading now. Just kidding (I'm serious about the seriousness and the damage though )
2) democratic. I don't give a fuck what you think about what I say. Comment if you feel like it, at your own risk of humiliation.
3) planned. I give no shit about genre classifications or order of any kind. This journal reflects whatever pops into my mind whenever the thoughts pop. I know my History so don't bother arguing about things like who, what, where, when, and why.

Let's go

SIEGE

Siege were a band of teenagers from Massachusetts who played hardcore punk in the mid 1980s but they were unique. They didn't live in Boston and were not part of the typical Boston HC scene. They influenced many future bands who played extreme music.

The influence of Siege was far reaching in both time and space. Soon, a band from Birmingham, England called Napalm Death cited Siege as an influence. Napalm Death was a metal band deemed grindcore and they thought they were the heaviest shit around. They were probably right for a while and got quite famous. By 1990 they began making markedly slower and longer songs than they had before, such as this one..

When Siege were in high school, they performed at a Battle of the Bands, which is a contest among high school bands that is organized by the actual high school the bands attended, and the bands performed at their school. Possibly an 80s/90s-American-only thing. I don't know. When Siege played their set the bassist smashed his instrument at the end, which obligated the school administration to disqualify them. I imagine their set sounded something like this performance that was filmed for public access TV. In mid-80s America, public access television was the closest thing to the internet in that it's stations broadcast to the public without restrictions.