Music Banter - View Single Post - The Anthill 2.0: Albums, Artists & The Chance To Win A Million Dollars!
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Underrated albums: Albums Which Are Not Overrated By Any Stretch Of The Imagination. Or, to put it another way...probably something you dismissed offhand because it wasn't higher than 3.5 on RateYourMusic.
Queensrÿche – Promised Land (1994)

Genre: Art Rock / Progressive Metal / Alternative Rock
Sounds Like: Pretty unique sounding album...no immediate contemporaries

Although this doesn't always hold true across the genre spectrum when investigating a band or artist's music for the first time, the general rule is that the albums that don't get talked about much tend to be the ones...well, not worth talking about.

However, like most things in life, there are always exceptions to the rule. Exceptions such as progressive metal pioneer Queensrÿche's 1994 release Promised Land, a strange and experimental followup to the 1990's multi-platinum smash hit record Empire.

Put together over a 6 month period over on the San Juan Islands north of Seattle, Promised Land remains, in my humble opinion, the band's crowning achievement to date. Leering down like the devil himself on a vast, electric ley line between the worlds of alternative rock, heavy metal and a dislocated sense of experimental spaciness, the album remains a menacing, prophetic observance of American society and, as Thoreau might has surmised, a glimpse into the human spirit as it struggles quietly and desperately within that framework.

For those of you unfamiliar with the lineup, its the classic one, AKA vocalist Geoff Tate, guitarists Michael Wilton and Chris DeGarmo, bassist Eddie Jackson and drummer/sound effect orchestrator Scott Rockenfield. Possessing a tandemic, awe-inducing harmony together since the classic EP all the way back in 1983, these guys were still on one helluva roll ten years later and the results speak for themselves. It wouldn't last...but the best things never do.

Highlights you may ask? All of 'em if you want the honest truth, but the stylistic diversity here really gives you the opportunity to pick your poison as you please. For the straightforward heavy metal/early 90's grunge fans there's the pummeling 'I Am I' and the industrialized fervor of 'Damaged', both quite single worthy I might add. But what if you'd rather have some Pink Floyd inspired acoustica? 'Out Of Mind' and the Beatles-esque 'Lady Jane' might be more to your liking. And for you more adventurous folk who crave the most progressive, out-there material QR have to offer, there's 'One More Time', the monolithic title track and bass-driven 'Disconnected' (complete with some sax!). But really now, this is a deliberately constructed record where every song plays its part: they all have their merits, so let yourself experience them as a whole!

So while everyone is enjoying Metal Month and reveling in thine latest discoveries and recommendations (here's lookin' at you Trollheart), take a moment to lend an ear toward Queensrÿche and embark upon your pilgrimage to the Promised Land today: stellar songwriting, performances and interesting metal and non-metal songs await you at your destination!

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote