Music Banter - View Single Post - Newbies (and others) --- how to search for a thread topic before creating a new one
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

I actually prefer to use the site:search method, it's a whole lot more concise in terms of results. For example, you want to look up all threads and posts that pertain to The Beatles:

https://www.google.ca/search?site=&s...79.Owdy89icbmU

You will notice that the format for searching is thus: the beatles site:www.musicbanter.com

This method can actually be used for every website, and it will only turn up results from that particular site. It's very important that the search term appears before the URL, and that there is no space between site:www. Also you always have to include the triple W, otherwise it won't work.

We keep telling newbies to use a search function first, but yes we still get new threads being made on topics that already exist. Since we seem to have lost the ability to merge posts (all I get is a white screen after I log in again to confirm), we need to link to the existing thread and close the new one, in hopes that further posts will be in the old thread.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote