Music Banter - View Single Post - Member's Journal, mods won't help.
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #45 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
I'm sorry, but that point comes across as incredibly impatient. I know that we now live in a society where everything is instant, and we've forgotten how to wait, but people still have lives off the Internet. Ideally, members with at least 500 posts (or perhaps 1,000) should just be able to post in journals without having to be approved, but right now that is not the case. Everybody has to wait for a mod to check the queue. I can't promise that it's going to happen once an hour though.

I always feel like you are the only one to continuously complain about the lack of speed in terms of post approval. The original discussion thread wasn't even originally about the frequency of approvals, but it dissolved into such a discussion. TH, you are a great member and a huge asset to this community, but this is just what I've been noticing lately.

My honesty probably comes across as crass but I had to put that all out there.
To be fair, I'm not, I'm just the one who voices what is a shared opinion. Which is odd, as I'm a very quiet person. But given that I spend so much time on my journals, and that I have so many (five now) is it surprising that I should be the one to complain? Especially in something like Metal Month, where Saturday's posts weren't approved till late Sunday, leaving me really with no posts for Sunday, and I had intended to update every day.

Again, I reiterate: I'm not saying people should not have lives and I'm happy to do this myself if allowed. But considering what you have revealed about how the process goes for approval, I can't see any reason why 24 hours is acceptable. If I'm posting on any other forum where posts are required to be approved, a general rule of thumb is that the post is there within at least a few hours of my submitting it. Look at it this way: if I'm having a conversation with someone through the journal (Batty, US, Ant) is it really right that I should have to wait 24 or more hours for the reply, or to be able to reply? That's like playing chess by mail! The internet is supposed to be fast, and while I'm not claiming that journal updates should supercede anything else in terms of priority, I really can't see a reasonable excuse for such a delay.

Consider also that almost everyone else, with the exception of Unknown Soldier and maybe Ki, updates maybe once a week, so will probably not notice any delay as such. But if they, or others, were or are posting every day, I think you would see a lot more muttered comments about delays. It's manifesting itself through me because I'm the one who posts so regularly, and like I said before I could hit yaz with five or six posts at once, but it doesn't seem fair, so I prefer to send up one or two, wait till they're approved and then submit the next ones. If I have to wait 24 + hours for that, I'm tempted to just send a big batch in all at once, which is I think something nobody wants.

I'm trying to see it from the mods' side, but it seems to me that you personally have a problem with me and are not doing the same. Your journal may not mean as much to you as mine does to me, and I'm not saying I run into the bathroom and slash my wrists if my latest update still isn't posted a day later (sorry DJ!) but it does rankle, and I wonder then why it takes so long. As I say, today's ones were approved superfast, BUT is this a result of my constant badgering of you guys, and if I did not do that, would my posts just get done as and when? Sometimes to be heard you have to shout, and though that shout may annoy people it does seem to be getting something done. Whether, after the echo of the shout has died away and been forgotten, this will still be the case is my worry. Which is why I tend to not want to drop it.

I hope none of the above is taken too personally by you BD, but to be fair you're having something of a go at me, for nothing more than pushing to have my work published in a timely manner, and I felt I needed to respond to that. An hour may not be achievable, but surely five, six, ten is not impossible?