Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #1980 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I see. Well, that just sort of proves my point then, doesn't it? I get what you say about people being influenced by neo-Nazi ideals and all that, and that you don't think the bands should be responsible, but I disagree. If you know someone has a propensity for murder do you hand him a knife and then not worry about what he'll do with it? Or someone with a chronic alcoholic problem and you take him to a free bar? I mean other people, Batty: I know YOU would...

I think, as I said before, a certain sense of responsibility is required from our musicians, no matter what genre they work in, and the more famous and therefore more influential they are, the more careful they should be of what they say and how it could be misinterpreted.
I'm sure you could make the case that any number of things in pop culture might incite people to do this, that, or the other that might be negative. Breaking Bad might not be telling someone to do or sell crystal meth like black metal is telling people to be "evil", but I'm sure that someone has gotten the idea to do one or both of those things merely by watching an episode. The point being that if artists let the marginal freaks decide how they express themselves our world will be lessened. Personally I'd rather have a few deaths than a creatively restrictive world, even if the restrictions are self-imposed.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote