Music Banter - View Single Post - Foodbox (Food & Recipes)
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #541 (permalink)
GuD
Dude... What?

I've been on a soup kick lately and have been more or less using the same 'techniques' with each soup but altering what I put in it. Basically, boiling or roasting some vegetables and then making a broth and blending the vegetables with the broth. Super easy, super cheap, super fun. Super. Anywho, my favorite so far has been with Cauliflower, Broccoli, and Squash (I'm vegan, sue me).

So, what ya do is get some posh veggies from your farmers market. They should be cheapish since they're in season. I make it with equal parts broccoli and cauliflower and 1 smaller sized squash per two heads of broccoli or cauliflower. Break up the broccoli and cauliflower pieces. Peel the squash and cut it up in pieces that are a bit smaller than the broccoli and cauliflower. Wash e'rythang. Season as you want (I just added salt, thyme, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, and dill) and toss around in a large salad bowl. Throw um evenly spread out on a sheet pan and into the oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until the broccoli and cauliflower are kinda crispy but not burnt around the edges and the squash is tender.

While the veggies are roastin, make some broth. I like thick soups so I only used about 3/4 cups broth to maybe 4 cups of vegetables. For my broth I just used half of one of those veggie buellione cubes, 1/4 cup of white wine per 2 quarts water give or take, and an ear of corn (adds a bit of sweetness, beets work well too). When your kitchen smells like corn, yer broth's ready. Remove the corn, throw all your roasted veggies in the blender, add the broth a little at a time and puree until you've got the texture to your liking. Tada. The soup will look pale greenish yellow (not that appetizing but still delicious) and you're ready to go. Garnishing with some toasted cashews, sunflower seeds, and corn kernels will have it looking nicer. Pretty killer with a proper, thick, firm, slice of toasted sourdough or even rye bread. If you're a vegan or are looking for a tasty alternative to real butter, Earth Balance is the bee's knees.
And still people want me dead
~msc

Last edited by GuD; 10-23-2013 at 08:27 PM.
GuD is offline   Reply With Quote