Music Banter - View Single Post - People Who Like American Football Are Boring
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #76 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Larehip View Post
I think you're trying to bait someone into an argument but I'll bite. You think baseball and basketball are not played outside the US?? Ever heard of Mexican baseball or the Dominican Republic or Venezuela?? Ever noticed the enormous number of American baseball players who have Spanish surnames and who speak with Spanish accents???

And apparently, you've never heard of European basketball which has produced NBA stars like Petrovich, Divacs, Gasol, not to mention Tony Parker who was born in Bruges, Belgium and is a French citizen in case you didn't notice his French accent.

Getting back to baseball, let's not forget MLB players with names like Suzuki, Shinjo, Sasaki, Nomo, Matsui, and Yu Darvish (half-Japanese and half-Iranian).

Next, you'll be saying nobody cares about hockey outside the US.
They're good points. And no, I'm not trying to bait anyone: I don't do that. My point is against the argument that DJ put forward, that because AMERICANS don't like football (our football) then it by default has to be bad. That's totally arrogant. I freely admit I know little of basketball or baseball, and as you say it may indeed be played outside of the US but it is not a world sport. Just about every country (US included) plays football, even if it only comes to the fore at times like the World Cup. American football by comparison is a niche, insular sport, cared about only by Americans and probably a small percentage of people outside the US, mostly those who watch every sport --- darts, F1, tennis, badminton, rugby, soccer, GAA, boxing etc. Few people outside the US care specifically about AF: it's just another to add to the lists of the sports they watch.