Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #2007 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
The title track is up next, and it's one of those eight-minuters I mentioned. Big hard guitar intro with both Hetfield and Hammet working overtime, Lars Ulrich bashing out an energetic rhythm on the drumkit, a lot of energy and anger in the vocal when Hetfield comes in. Reminds me of a cross between Tank and Iron Maiden, then about halfway in with get a lovely laidback guitar piece that's classic Lizzy or Maiden, slowing everything down but still keeping the heavy aspect of the song. A very politically-charged lyric of course, and ties in nicely with the album artwork. A storming solo from, I assume, Kirk Hammet, and a big evil laugh at the end to bring it all to a close. Impressive.

It's about cocaine.

Quote:
I think it may be slide guitar that opens "The thing that should not be", then it marches along on the back of solid guitar and percussion and takes as its lyrical inspiration "The Lord of the Rings", instantly making Metallica a favourite with nerds, and also making being a nerd cool. Great grinding rhythm to this and it really suits the subject matter. Everything slows down then for "Welcome home (Sanitarium)" with some rising guitar work at the opening and a less frenzied vocal from Hetfield, though of course it does speed up and Hammet goes a little wild on the frets, which is all good. Great powerful dramatic ending too. On we go, into "Disposable heroes", another eight-minute epic. Again opening with a huge guitar fest, and it rattles along nicely with another heavy political lyric as you would expect.

Actually it's from H.P. Lovecraft's "Call of Cthulhu".
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote