Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #13089 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
My Spanish professor handed me back a 96% midterm today, then cornered me and another student and criticized us for "not comprehending the material", "not being at the expected level of the class", "whining and complaining", and "having no business being there if we don't understand it".

I've only asked constructive questions in this class, and I've only ever shown concern for my achievement. All I want to do is learn and work hard, and know that I did both. I feel totally gutted, and I'm shocked by the language she used and the perception she has of my work and attitude. My average isn't just good, it's exceptional, but apparently asking questions and showing concern for my ability to learn is a signal to her that I am a sub-par student with behavioural issues.

I can't even digest the rant I received today. I've never received anything less than a great mark in this subject. Feels bad man.
Uhhh, what? She sounds like a sub-par professor. You get a 96, and she thinks you're not meeting the expected academic level? What's that to her, a 100? I'm sorry she called you and this other student out like that for nothing. Some professors are just like that. I've dealt with a couple and it really is disheartening, especially after the amount of work put into achieving a good grade.

Most professors love it when students like you ask questions and comment on class material. Your professor has some kind of ax to grind. Does your school have some sort of ombudsman or student liaison you can go to about this professor? My school has an ombuds office and if students have an issue with a professor, or a grade dispute, etc, they can go there to speak to a third party. Let them know about this incident, and you never know, you may not be the first to have an issue with this instructor.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote