Music Banter - View Single Post - Opinions on GG Allin
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

To shed some light on the early days...

At first, during the Jabbers era as well as the Early 80's, he was just your usual high shock high energy rocker that was maybe a little too high shock without hinting much at the creepiness that happened later if one was not looking too much. His first album was released through David Peel's Orange Records and in 1981, he even recorded with Wayne Kramer and Dennis "Machine Gun" Thompson. Continuing on with a split record with Artless (Mykel Board's band I think), it seemed like that part was seriously over and done with after trying to push his act into being vile even more with fans egging him on and a Talk Show circuit that offered him his biggest platform.

This is pretty good! Jabbers-era GG Chapter 2 with The MC2 - The Motor City Bad Boys!

As you can tell, the fact that his music was catchy and shock oriented Pop Punk in a time when things were turning Hardcore made songs like this fall by the wayside. Hardly anyone noticed I think. Kind of gives more support to the "attention seeking violent geek egged on by fans" opinions. He made his choice...

The first clip is a mix of footage, some of the very early days that's a compare and contrast in my view.

As you can tell, it was NOT The MC5, but MC2.

I'm sure that a lot of modern interest was sparked on by the Hated Documentary with a lot of fans liking him from a very safe distance. Despite having musically solid first and final albums, the later of which I can see some fans ranking it one of his better albums next to his early work, as well as a few good songs here and there, I have a limit on my interest in his music and his infamy.

To end this on a humorous note: I bought the Documentary used in a DVD store's going out of business sale in the Wrestling section!

Last edited by Screen13; 10-28-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote