Music Banter - View Single Post - Do Women Take Themselves Too Seriously?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #99 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
In my honest opinion, yes. They do take themselves far too seriously. In the sense that they need to feel comfortable going out looking the way they do naturally. I don't care about any of the "but my makeup doesn't look right" etc. They should feel comfortable going out looking like themselves, otherwise they're basically lying to a person they're attracted to by showing them a face that doesn't exist 100% of the time.

Just my opinion.
I only make my face up when I go out because I know you don't think I'm some kind of disgusting troll without it. I'm comfortable with you because we've still got at least 70 more years together, and it's not like a woman can dodge aging. Society can see me one way if I choose, because I don't care about them, and they aren't going to see me outside of a social setting anyway.

But I do appreciate that you tolerate my crying over how my eyeliner doesn't look right, or if my hair doesn't seem to cooperate the way I wish it would. Your patience means a lot to me, but what's most important is that you still think I'm acceptable when I'm dressed way down, no makeup, hair pulled back, sweats on. As long as I'm perfect to you, I'm ok.

Women really do have a sort of neurotic responsibility to be looking their best all the time, doing everything just right, living up to age-old standards that society has been taught to expect (in a man's case) or perfect (in the case of a woman). It's hard being a lady, it's difficult, stressful, and heartbreaking sometimes. I can't even imagine what it's like for a male-to-female transwoman, with that extra layer of insecurity and always wondering "will they know I'm different?"

It's only getting worse with all this plastic surgery and millions of silly beauty products and "new" weight loss programs. All of this ridiculous nonsense is taking a toll on women's self esteem and it's just not fair. Even clothes are designed stupidly. I'm thin, and petite. Most clothes are designed from the bodies of Amazonian women, it would seem, with long freaking legs that run up to their chins and gargantuan tits that just wouldn't go with the scenery on a typical woman. I don't even know who's designing these stupid garments but it's like they've never seen an actual woman before. And it's all cheaply made, super expensive, designed to lose threads, fade out, and keep us cold.

I could go on forever about the difficulties women face every day but I see this thread's already gone on for almost 11 pages, I just don't have the patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
Not all women wear make up because they want others to think highly of them.
This.

I wear make-up so I can feel better about myself when I'm around other people (most people I know are so gorgeous it makes me want to punch them, and then there's me, little Plain Jane). I have to have something in this world (apart from my hair) that sets me apart from the others. I'm ok with looking different, I just have to be comfortable.