Music Banter - View Single Post - World Cup 2014 thread
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #97 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Penalty shoot-outs are life or death... England may need a psychologist to help them get through another one | Mail Online

Sven's advice to Hodgson ahead of the World Cup.

Quote:
‘Roy is a very experienced coach but if I should tell him anything, it is to do everything to prepare for a penalty shoot-out. Put in experts or psychologists so you don’t go out that way in a big tournament again. If you take the statistics of England and Germany, something is not right.

‘It is not easy to take a penalty when you have the whole nation relying on you. It is life or death. You are in or you go home. And the walk from the halfway line to the penalty spot, it must be in your head somewhere.’
I agree with this to be honest. It's ingrained into the English psyche that we won't win a shootout at a major tournament. Players know they'll end up in one and won't win. It's actually excused now and the norm. I know the pressure is massive in a penalty shootout but it is vital you stay focused and do everything right from body language to the run up, our players look beaten before they've even kicked the ball.

The amount of penalties I see, that aren't struck correctly and are half arsed attempts at placement, is fucking shocking.

If I was the England manager I'd be telling them to walk up to the spot confidently, pick a corner, keep your head down & body over the ball and put your laces through it.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote