Music Banter - View Single Post - Member Picture Gallery
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #23659 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoskeletal View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but I found his story WAY more interesting than his music. I mean one could argue it's great but it really conforms to one kind of genre where his story could have effects on many people. I'm glad they did it that way.
As a die-hard fan of Johnston's music, I would have liked to have seen the documentary discuss his music (which, in my opinion, is just as amazing and interesting as his life). Also, Johnston's music can't really be labeled as one genre... It's rather unique and all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
The story of the musician, as portrayed in this documentary, definitely offers an explanation of the music. Maybe you had to know the music before watching the film, I dunno.
Of course his story is important, it plays a significant role in understanding his music, but yes, I was already a huge fan of Johnston's music before I watched it. So, when I did watch it, I was fairly disappointed that they barely discussed his work. I didn't necessarily need the documentary to spend more than 90% of its time discussing Johnston's story. I would have liked to have had some more information behind the making of his music, what they thought of it, etc. There was a lot of information missing and a lot of unanswered questions.

TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote