Music Banter - View Single Post - World Cup 2014 thread
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #99 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

You say it's down to experience but how many high pressure shootouts have our players actually been involved in?

Gerrard: '04, '06, '12 for England, '06 FA Cup Final & '05 CL Final, 2012 League Cup Final w/ Liverpool
Lampard: '04, '06, '12 for England, '08 & '12 CL Finals w/ Chelsea
Carrick: '06, '12 for England, '08 CL Final & '09 FA Cup Semi w/ Man. United
Rooney: '12 for England but taken off/sent off in '04 & '06, '08 CL Final & '09 FA Cup Semi w/ Man. United

Could go on as well, I mean Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard have taken a ton of important pens for their clubs that weren't in shootouts but you get the point. We've been in more shootouts than anyone so it's clearly not down to experience. It's because it's a mental thing with these lot now and I reckon they aren't practicing them for England either, the preparation and run up is half of the battle. In fact I'm sure under Sven he said they didn't practice pens.

Tbh the only English player I would say revels in high pressure pens is Hargreaves, scored against Portugal twice (Euro's & World Cup) and the CL Final in 2008 and they were all class pens. Funnily enough he was actually trained in Germany .
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote