Music Banter - View Single Post - What makes a tune in tune?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
This is something I regularly ponder, especially when I'm on psychedelics.

Music is sound. Sound is waves. But what makes a tune a tune and not just noise? How is it that the whole species agrees (knows even) when something is out of tune, when something is just noise?

I haven't studied music so maybe I'm being stupid and the answer is obvious.

Anyone?
I would say that it's in the eye of the creator rather than that of the beholder to decide whether or not something is music. When something's released and people disregard it as "noise" and not music are closeminded, in my opinion. Sure, it may be bad in your eyes, but that doesn't mean it doesn't qualify as music.

Also, the idea of something being in and out of tune is relative to what music you grow up on. The quarter step usage in Indian music would be considered quite out of tune in regards to Western music, for example. Some people are even intentionally out of tune, it can aid in whatever they're trying to convey be it eeriness, melancholy, or disorientation. Take Jandek for example

There's also the idea that music can exist without a performer, which can be hard for some to wrap their head around. John Cage discusses it well

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote