Music Banter - View Single Post - College Football
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #150 (permalink)
FRED HALE SR.
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Smeenus View Post
Thursday is maybe the best ever regular season non-Saturday in CFB history, two games involving 4 top 10 teams, including the no-doubt-about-it game of the week and maybe the year, a game that will almost certainly set the stage for the final BCS championship game, one way or the other.

13 LSU at 1 Alabama

This is one of 3 games that 'Bama plays a team that kinda/sorta has a miniscule chance at knocking the Tide out of the #1 ranking (the other two being the Iron Bowl against Auburn and whoever comes out of the SEC East in the conference championship). Not that I would bet a dollar or even a dime on that happening without million-to-one odds. 'Bama will cover the 12 1/2 points.

2 Florida State at Wake Forest

Seminoles are favored by 35, they will eat the Demon Deacons

Thursday game #1

3 Oregon at 5 Stanford

This is the game that BOTH teams and most of CFB has had circled since the beginning of the season. It was a year ago, just after Johnny Football skyrocketed to fame after shocking the #1 Crimson Tide, that the Ducks and Kansas State were 1-2 heading into that weekends games, and both were upset and knocked out of the title picture (Notre Dame failed to do the world a favor and fecking lose, setting up one of the biggest mismatches in the history of the BCS championship game). Does anyone think that Oregon (or even K-State) would've made a better BCS opponent than the Irish? Yeah, me too.

So this year's game is the same magnitude as regards the BCS final. I have reasonable confidence, this year's Ducks team has a couple of improvements over last year's team, 1. a seasoned Mariota, 2. better balance in the running/passing game, and 3. a much improved defense. The Cardinal are arguably not as good as last year, although they're still a very good team. De'Anthony Thomas has supplied the Cardinal with bulletin board material, saying the Ducks will hang at least 40 on Stanford's stingy defense. I'm of the opinion that if THAT'S what the Cardinal needs to be motivated for this game they were in trouble anyway.

Oregon is favored by 10. I will take ANY win but I believe they need to cover the spread to be assured of taking the #2 spot back from FSU. I believe they will, putting themselves in the drivers seat to play 'Bama in January.

Thursday game #2

10 Oklahoma at 6 Baylor

The only real criticism of the Bears is that, while yes they're scoring points at a record pace and blowing everybody off the field, they haven't played anybody. OK, now they're playing somebody. Not that Okie is going to draw any comparisons to 'Bama, Oregon or FSU, but at least they're a winning team with a lot of tradition, and with a decent defense (currently ranked 14th in CFB in fewest points allowed). The spread is 14 1/2, I'll take Baylor

8 Missouri at Kentucky.

The Wildcats are a basketball school, I can't remember the last good Kentucky football squad. It ain't this one, that's for sure. Mizzou covers the two touchdowns

9 Auburn at Tennessee

Tigers cover the 7 1/2 points
LSU vs ALABAMA- Really torn on this one. 12 1/2 is alot of points for a quality program like LSU to start out a game with. I still have to roll tide on this one, their offensive line gets better week to week. Sure they will pound it out in the run game and control both lines of scrimmage when it counts.

FSU vs Wake Forest- Its always hard to give up 35 points to anybody but FSU is on a path right now that can't be stopped. Sir Jameis is a beast in the pocket. Look for FSU to cover the astronomical spread.

Oregon vs Stanford- I'm not a big advocate of Stanford. They certainly have a good defense but they faulter at times when it comes to offensive stability. My pick is Oregon. No spread is this a pick em game paul? Even with a ten pt spread I like Oregon to run right through Stanford when it counts. Go Ducks. Heh just noticed the spread down below.

Oklahoma vs Baylor- I like Baylor to cover with the additional pt spread. Baylor is one of those teams with serious track speed and I love those type of teams when they play vulnerable defenses. Oklahoma doesn't impress me even with the victory last week. The Bears should win this game.

Mizzou vs Kentucky- I like this Mizzou team but two touchdowns is bordering on my threshold for betting them. I'll still take Mizzou they have alot of weapons even without their starter at qb. Close pick for me though as Kentucky isn't beyond two touchdowns terrible.

Auburn vs Tennessee- I have to pick at least one game differently. So i'll take Tennessee to cover with the 7 1/2 to make it interesting. Good games this weekend looking forward to some real battles. That LSU/BAMA game should be a doozy if LSU can contain the run game. I'm guessing they wont and Bama runs the table to play Oregon in the Championship.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote