Music Banter - View Single Post - Learning to play guitar?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #21 (permalink)
Aichuk
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
Eh. Honestly, learning by ear shouldn't be a priority when you're first starting out. Sure, it's a good thing to do eventually, but learning and practicing something you like is a lot less frustrating than "****, as that an A? That makes the first three notes B,C,A..." Besides, if you play guitar long enough, you should be able to recognize what some notes are because you've heard them so much that you're familiar with them.

Also, being able to play steady isn't really as important for a guitarist than, say, a bassist or drummer.

Also, learn how to play the pentatonic scale. Then you can say that you can solo.
Dark Horse, it's your opinion and I respect it, however I disagree almost completely. It wasn't frustrating for me picking up songs and I'm far from a guitar prodigy. It'll take more time, but as long as he starts with easy songs, he can easily pick stuff up with some effort. He can always then use tabs as a reference.

And playing steady is ABSOLUTELY essential for most musicians including guitarists. You need to play in proper timing to jam properly. I'm not saying he should practice 11/4 prog beats at the beginning but trust me when I say a simple 4/4 beat is much harder than it seems. I personally went to a concert where a guitarist missed his timing a little and the entire song was ruined.

I don't think his main intention should be to start playing mad solos right at the beginning, he should remember to get his fundamentals correct. It's all about attention to detail.

But then again this is just my opinion.
Aichuk is offline   Reply With Quote