Music Banter - View Single Post - Traditional Asian Parents
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
I feel really sorry for the friend I mentioned. She had an arranged marriage and is deeply unhappy (in her marriage, not in life) and still doesn't love him despite being wed for several years now. When I suggested she get a divorce, she said it wasn't even an option as it would bring too much shame to her parents. It's sad.
That is bloody awful. I couldn't even imagine what it's like to be married to someone I don't love or chosen by myself. I think this "bringing shame to the family" thing is crossing the line. It's one thing to honour family values but at the same time you should be able to be yourself, determine your career on your own terms and marry someone you love. I was so blessed to be in a family that didn't pressure me to get A's and let me have a childhood. I have plenty of qualifications but got to have great experiences as well.

What makes me sad is to think about the gay, lesbian and transgender kids that get killed/hid from people/forced to marry the opposite sex because of the "shame" it brings to the family.