Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #1422 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Hmm. Problem is, if I uninstall the mouse drivers how then do I navigate? ANyway, it's pretty much down to reinstall now. Problem though (further one): Windows 7 tells me that basically it's going to format my drive --- don't remember tht happening before but it's been a while --- so now I have to find room for about 750 gigs of files to be transferred. So I think hey I remember I bought a 2 tb Western Digital external hdd about a year ago and never used it! The perfect opportunity!

Except...

The stupid ****ers have given me a two-pin round plug with it. It's Ireland, *******! We don't USE two-pin sockets here, and certainly not ****ing ROUND ones! So where's the adapter? There must be an adapter. They always give you an adapter for the plug.

There's no adapter.

Western Digital, famed for overpricing their disks, can't be bothered to throw in a few extra pieces of plastic and metal, a few euros worth at best, so now I'm stuck looking for alternative adapters I can use. No luck. WD don't DO standard, not even in the connections for their power leads! Too small for all the other three hdds I have! Christ!

Finally I find one that will fit, but now I'm a little worried. It's one off a ROKU, and though the general specs are the same, this is output 5.2 V whereas the official one is 12, and it's a 0.3 Amp output as opposed to a 0.6. Am I safe? This thing will be running overnight while I'm asleep. I'm kind of afraid to take the chance.

Does anyone know if this would be an acceptable risk, or any risk at all? And does anyone know if W7 really does format your main disk?

Finally, I'm considering investing in an ipad/tablet: anyone any thoughts, advice, warnings?

God I ****ing hate computers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!